Sunday, March 23, 2008

On the edge of a continent

In a kind of impulsive unplanned idea Riley and I went on a sort spring break vacation. We backpacked and camped at Second Beach in La Push, Washington. I found the place on the Olympic National Parks website. Second beach is west of Forks right on the Washington cost. It was sand and rock stacks facing the void of the Pacific Ocean, we were at the edge of a continent. It's a haunting feeling facing the open ocean, nothing in front of you for miles but the vast blue of the biggest ocean in the world.

Day 1 On the drive there we stopped at the World's Largest Spruce Tree, I peed on it of course. We hiked about a mile to the beach and found a great site on a small bluff above the shore. We made camp, explored and ate vegetarian chili and bread. Made fire, then slept.

Day 2 Oatmeal, then more exploring, we walked to the end of the breach. There are pictures on facebook if you want a looksie. We tried to track animal footprints in the sand, to no avail. I built a fort out of drift wood and Riley made a sundial. Everything was fine until night. It was warmer than the night before but the wind was picking up. The wind got even stronger followed by rain, lots and lots of rain. There would be no sleep. It was scary, it felt like the rain fly and tent could blow away any minute. Poseidon was behind us and he was angry! Maybe it was because I peed on the world's largest spruce tree. It hit me in the night that as we tried to sleep our backs faced an entire ocean, we were at the mercy of it. There could be some storm or tsunami and we wouldn't have a clue. I've lived my the sea my whole life but where I lived was different it was protected by peninsulas and islands.

Day 3 Well we made it through the night. In the morning I pooped on the beach between the privacy of drift wood. There was no one around, I just felt like the ocean was watching me.

1 comment:

Matthew Louv said...

Watch for rogue waves.