Sunday, March 30, 2008

Time Capsule

I got my Old Man's ipod over break, he got a brand new one, his is old but it holds way more music than my nano. Almost 5,000 songs.

I read somewhere that scent is the strongest part of out memory or something like that. Well sound has got to be a close runner up. My computer at home collects the music of my Dad, sister, and I. We like and dislike each others music to a point. If I had a bigger ipod in high school it would be half full of only my music. (the whole I gotta be different thing) When I got this ipod I had all my music in it, but with so much space, most of the music is my Old Man's. Besides the fact that in my fathers expansive music library had undeniable artists: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, R.E.M, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits that you let yourself share, even when you're an independent teen. I found myself attached to the many songs and artists I swore I would never listen to.

Maybe I was brain washed into liking them over years of playing or maybe my new/old ipod is musical time capsule of nostalgia. Stuff I grew up on like Steve Earl, John Hiatt, and John Prine being blasted out of our post-divorce shitty house of F & S Grade Rd while he mowed the lawn with a cigarette hanging from his mouth and me playing with G.I. Joe's and X-wings. (Tasha is one of the only people I know that relates to the John Hiatt thing, Amanda and many people relate to growing up to the Boss.)

Now I even like stuff he doesn't listen to anymore, mostly stuff him and my mom listened to when they where together.

It also struck me how much cooler he is then me. Well he has had 28 years on my to get cooler. But when I think about it he's introduced most of the world's best music to me, and laid down a music history for me, that influences my taste now. Also he can where insulated crocks and rebuild a trailer and not know how cool it is. Maybe it's that almost 50 year old man coolness that sets in and makes up for being such a loser in high school, but really you're the coolest one there just no one knows it yet.

How taste does change, what was discovering then and now

Sophomore year of high school
  • Nirvana
  • Pearl Jam
  • The Cure
  • The Pixies
  • Social Distortion
  • PUSA
Sophomore year of college
  • Natalie Portman's Shaves Head
  • The Blow
  • M.I.A
  • Cat Power
  • Wilco
  • Ghostland Observatory
First CD I bought on my own: Smash Mouth

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

your dad really is pretty cool

Lily said...

Smash Mouth? Charlie NOOOOOO.

Anonymous said...

Sophomore year of high school:
- Rancid
- Against Me!
- NOFX
- My Chemical Romance
- Rise Against
- Muse

Um. Sophomore year of life?:
- NPSH
- The Blood Brothers
- The Dirty Projectors
- Little Party and the Bad Business
- Man Man
- Muse

Growing up is weird.