Friday, January 18, 2008

Growing Up

Sucks.....

I had a dentist appointment. My whole life I never had the same dentist or doctor. This is mostly do to a rocky financial and health care situation. Last week I was feeling some pain from my wisdom teeth coming in so I decided to find a dentist. I found a good review of this Jeff Hamilton guy, I mean he does share a name with a former president so that's a good sign. Anyway the whole experience was large dose of adulthood. I had to set an appointment, find the place, fill out forms. Dentists also scare the fuck out o me. I always think they're gonna drop one of those damn pointy tools down my throat. For humans being the top animal on this planet we sure need help taking care of our mouths. I also think they're trying to get every dollar out of you. It's like going to the mechanic. "Oh boy! You need this, this and this done." Not only does he have to take care of some new cavities but he has to fix my old fillings that my economy line dentists tried to do back in the day.

Actually this dentist experience has made me reflect on my beloved views of capitalism. I'm sure most of you know how fucked the health care system is, so I won't vent too much. It sucks, there is the incentive of private health care so we have quality work right? There are private insurance companies to help us with these bumps in the road we face. The people with great coverage normally have less money worries so when wisdom teeth comes along it's just another expense. I don't really now what I'm talking about anymore so I'm going to stop.

I don't want to keep crying about being a down and out lower-middle class. I am very privileged, in my day to day life I am not reminded of my class. But, when health and dental issues come around it's a big reality check.

After all this, my dentist just gave my a referral to an oral surgeon for my wisdom teeth. The scary part is I have know idea how this will be paid for. Any hope to travel could go down the drain because of some damn teeth. At least I still have awhile before I have to do it.

1 comment:

Natasha Norton said...

Last year I was supposed to pay for a dental surgery, it was going to be around 2,000 dollars of my money. They never billed me. I contacted the dentist office to see what kind of balance I owed them. All I owed them was 69 dollars for a cavity they reconciled earlier that year. So yeah. That probably won't happen to you, but it was pretty awesome when it happened to me.